Re: [News] FOSS and Linux Seen as Suitable for Government

  • Subject: Re: [News] FOSS and Linux Seen as Suitable for Government
  • From: flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 22:36:01 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:30:47 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:03:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Real World Government Open Source
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Currently, said Welty, 65 percent of the Board's applications run on
>>| Linux, 89 percent of their Web applications run on Apache, and 67
>>| percent of the applications requiring a database use an open source
>>| product such as MySQL.
>>|
>>| And the Board is not alone. Welty said a recent survey of 128
>>| departments resulted in 50 responses of which 30 said they were using
>>| open source. "These are not just backwater applications," said Welty,
>>| they include the Department of Finance, the Franchise Tax Board,D
>>| epartment of Justice and the Governor's Office.
>>|
>>| Also, said Welty, the State Archives is interested in open standards.
>>| "How do you guarantee that what you are doing today will be able to be
>>| read 100 years from now?" He said the answer is to adopt standards for
>>| archiving using non-proprietary products.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| "Who should set the tech roadmap for the organization," asked Welty.
>>| "Who controls our IT budget? Is it controlled by the licenses we
>>| inherited? Who controls the destiny of our data? Off-the-shelf software
>>| may be easier to install," he said, but it imposes proprietary file
>>| formats, and limits access to data by product upgrades. With open source,
>>| he said, data is not buried in proprietary black boxes. "We really do own
>>| our own data."
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| Welty said his department's budget for software is so low, it runs on
>>| "budget dust." When the state went through a recession, he said, "Some
>>| departments cut people to pay software licenses. We didn't have those
>>| licenses and didn't have to cut people."
>>|
>>| And finally, said Welty, open source is great for disaster recovery. If
>>| there is another disaster like Katrina, "disaster recovery just screams
>>| for open source." While proprietary stuff might have a long procurement
>>| cycle, with open source the department can jump in and begin working
>>| immediately. "The key is: 'It's OK to use open source," concluded
>>| Welty.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.govtech.net/news/news.php?id=101651
>>
>> Only yesterday:
>>
>> Red Hat Government Users Conference to Spotlight Emerging Trends in Linux and
>> Open Source Solutions
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The event, hosted by DLT Solutions, is designed to help government
>>| and academic end-users meet their specific needs and find the right
>>| solutions as the prevalence of open source solutions in the public
>>| sector continues to surge.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061012/20061012005047.html?.v=1
>
> "only yesterday"...

...when I was young, So many happy songs were waiting to be sung,

                Am7                        B7
So many wayward pleasures lay in store for me,
                    Em             B+        E7
And so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to see.

                   Am7                           D7
I ran so fast that time and youth, at last, ran out,

                    GM7                     CM7
I never stopped to think what life was all about;
                Am7                 B7
And ev'ry conversation I can now recall
                      Em      B+               E7
Concerned itself with me, and nothing else at all.

(Chart included for Greycloud).....