Re: [News] FOSS and Linux Seen as Suitable for Government

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Real World Government Open Source

<SNIP>

>> http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061012/20061012005047.html?.v=1
>
> "only yesterday"...

I found this article quote to be of interest:

| What do you get when you combine OpenSolaris, the GNU
| utilities, and Ubuntu? Nexenta -- a GNU-based open source
| operating system built on top of the OpenSolaris kernel and
| runtime. I took the Alpha 5 release out for a spin to see
| how well it's progressing. It might sound like an odd
| combination, but after more than a year of development, it
| actually works well, and is shaping up to be a very
| interesting operating system.

In a similar vein, I was surprised that with Microsoft's
relation to SCO, that Vista did not become Microsoft SCO Unix,
with legacy Windows application compatibility and their
antivirus acquisition to provide coverage in SCO, so that
those using older versions of Windows over the 'net would not
become tainted through pass-ons.

That would have provided some mean competition, especially in
regards to Apple with their Open BSD based offering.

However, c'est la vie.

--
HTP