Re: [News] BBC Addresses PC Security

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:56:00 +0100
<14187825.ezx9mRk3d3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> How well do you know PC security?

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I quite liked:
> |
> |  Windows is nagging you to update the operating system. What do you do?
> |
> |       A: Ignore it, the updates will just slow down your machine
> |
> |       B: Install the updates as soon as they become available
> |
> |       C: Update every six months. Just to keep Microsoft happy
> |
> | [...]
> |
> |  What is a DDoS attack?
> |
> |       A: Guerilla activism by open source software advocates in which
> | they uninstall Windows on a PC and replace it with Linux
> |
> | [...]
> |
> `----
>
> This questionnaire proves that Windows security has become very complex and
> it requires a lot of 'knowledge' from its users.

Hmph.  They're a little sloppy, they are, though their heart is in
the right place.

#1: If you had a zombie in your house, what would you do?

D: Gag from the stench. :-)

#3: An e-mail turns up bearing an attachment labelled as video of a nude
celebrity. What do you do?

D: Save it for posterity, as it can do no harm to me.  Mailx is so
stupid it doesn't know what an image is, which protects it nicely.

#4: Windows is nagging you to update the operating system. What do you
do?

D: Laugh myself silly since Microsoft (a) never sends E-mails anyway,
and (b) I'm not running Windows.  (This isn't quite "A", though it's
close.)

#8: What is a firewall?

D: A piece of software *on* one's PC that blocks net-borne attacks.
E: A piece of *hardware* sitting between PC and network that blocks
net-borne attacks.

For the record: 10 out of 10, though I had to look up #2.  I have
been infected with *one* virus -- on an Amiga 1000 with only a floppy.
Since I no longer have an Amiga 1000 (I traded it in for a 2000 at one
point) and the Amigas aren't running anyway, what me worry? :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
item *p; if(p != 0) delete p;