Re: Linux User & College Course

  • Subject: Re: Linux User & College Course
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:21:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ pcutilisateur@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 13 October 2006 05:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ pcutilisateur@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 17:25 \__
>>
>> > I am going to apply for college, and I was wondering what type of
>> > course would be good for me as a Linux User? I  love fixing,
>> > networking, and reparing computers, however, this may not enough for a
>> > computer job. I did some research and I found one course that I like;
>> > Computer Engineering Technology. It's a three year course. I am
>> > wondering if anyone else has taken such course, and were they able to
>> > get a job?
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope there will be more takers to this potentially interesting and
>> mind-stimulating discussion. My supervisor argues that system architecture
>> is the future. Being able to assemble bits of technology in the most
>> cost-effective way is a valuable skill that needs you to be aware of and
>> familiar with many packages. This, unlike software development (my
>> undergraduate degree is in Software Engineering), is likely to endure as
>> the expenses (lack thereof) of duplicating high-quality software become
>> better understood and therefore they propel a shift in skills and
>> requirements. This is in some ways a renaissance that resembles what
>> computing was like decades ago. People will build their own large systems
>> (servers) to serve clients. Software as a Service (SaaS) or
>> Service-oriented Architecture (SOA) is what you must keep in mind as your
>> long-term goal/vocation. While it involves a great deal of hacking and
>> tweaking (programming), it does not involves some of the skills that
>> colleges still focus on (sometimes blindly).
>>
>> Just my 50 cents...
>
> Well, I have send my applications, and hopefully I will be accpected. I
> am going take Computer Engineering -- 3 years course.

Computer Engineering is fine. Software engineering, on the other hand, might
not be, especially if the syllabus is taregetted at IDE's and absract
methodologies used by traditional software houses (seen them dwindling over
the years). Computer Engineering degrees were more hardware and
design-oriented in our deaprtment. I imagine it's the same over there (where
you filed an application). it's most important to learn how computers work
(standalone) and interact (networking), as opposed to learning (memorising)
API's and GUI's (IDE's, WYSIWYG in the wrong place, or pricey proprietary
applications that lock in the user and his/her data).

Good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Cpu(s):  24.9% user,   3.2% system,   1.0% nice,  71.0% idle