Re: [News] Linux is not all it's cracked up to be.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ray Schitzmepantz
<swilliams5656@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 12 Oct 2006 07:13:22 -0700
<1160662402.089395.137750@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hehe, I said *crack*

An apt description of what's left of your brain, whoever
the hell you are.  If this is the best you can do as
opposed to one of the following or something equivalently
brilliant (like inventing an automated flyswatter,
which is probably outside the bounds of these particular
newsgroups), Windows is doomed.  (And not in an ID sense,
either.)

[1] Advocate Windows Vista.  Seriously.  Extol its virtues,
advantages, facilities, capabilities.  Especially without
third-party software to help paper over obvious past
deficiencies of Windows -- like the ability to remotely
export its desktop.  (That one, at least, they addressed,
back in Windows XP yet.  There's a few others they haven't;
I'll leave you to find them.  Many others already have.)

[2] Show a credible benchmark between Vista and Linux,
with equivalent configuration and software, that shows
Vista winning by a significant amount.  No, 1% is not
a significant amount.  No, Notepad and OpenOffice are
not equivalent software.  No, you can't include Cygnus
or coLinux.

[3] Indicate why Vista should be used and not Linux, given
other criteria.  The only one I can think of is that Vista
may be preferable if one is in a heavily-biased Microsoft
shop, and even then there might be the possibilities of
Cedega's Crossover Office or just a raw Linux/WinE setup.

(I for one have both IE and Visual SourceSafe working on
this dualboot.  Neat, once I figured it out.)

[4] Design and implement a DRM solution that actually
works.  Sony tried and failed spectacularly.  Microsoft's
attempts in the Vista arena have already been cracked,
AFAIK.

[5] Convincingly explain why IE7 is *still* not fully
CSS compliant, and why that is a good thing for web
designers and web users -- pardon me, Internet Explorers.

[6] Explain precisely where Vista's equivalent of
Linux actualy *is* buried in Vista, and how it's called.
(On Linux there are multiple answers, depending on machine
type; on the x86 for example one calls Linux by using
int $0x80 [INT 80H if one is using masm/nasm syntax]
and setting eax to the appropriate value.  Other machines
will use different machine calls; I'd have to look.)

Have fun, but remember: you're very easy to launder. :-)
At least, until you decide to sign up for another Hotmail
account for some reason.  Sooner or later, of course,
Hotmail will probably get annoyed with you if you sign up
with enough accounts.  (I'd recommend doing something a
little smarter than that, like hitchhiking while standing
on active train tracks...in which case, leave a large
bucket nearby so that the recovery crews can clean up
what's left afterwards.  They'll appreciate it.)

Followups to COLA exclusively.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail