Re: [News] Windows DLL Hell - So Notorious It Gets a Song

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:54 \__

> "Peter Hayes" <not_in_use@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> In <ukovv3-5ju.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> JEDIDIAH  wrote:
>>>
>>> OTOH, if an OSX app is entirely self contained then how can any sort
>>> of code reuse occur?
>>
>> Won't most apps have specific code that isn't likely to be of use
>> elsewhere except in narrowly  defined cases.
>
>     Yes, but most of the functionality in an app comes from re-use.
> Otherwises, every program would have to re-implement its own keyboard
> interrupt handling, USB support, mouse configuration, video timing, support
> for screen readers (for the visually impaired), support for all sorts of
> soundcards, supports for different types of storage medias (IDE harddrives,
> SATA harddrives, USB keys, network drives, RAM drives, etc.)
>
>     Then there'd be stuff like drawing buttons, animating them getting
> pressed downwards, adding code to grey-out disabled buttoms. Drawing drop
> down menus, making sure the drop down menus appear above the window frame,
> instead of beneath it, highlighting the currently selected menu item, etc.
>
>     Instead, code for this is supplied once, and re-used by multiple
> applications.
>

>>> Aren't you just doing what ANY OS could do with a
>>> mere static link rather than the dynamic linking which is customary.
>>
>> Makes for extremely easy uninstall - just drag the app to the trash.
>
>     This is indeed one very attractive aspect of Apple's design.

Like trashing the USB pen in order to unmount it (for safe removal)? I think
not... *grin*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie