Re: [News] Hans Reiser arrested on suspision of Murder.

  • Subject: Re: [News] Hans Reiser arrested on suspision of Murder.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:02:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:49 \__

> "John Bailo" <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Good thing reiserfs is open source so work can continue on it during his
>> incarceration/manhunt.
>
> This is second hand information, but things might be grim for Reisfer4:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061011-7956.html
> <quote>
> [Reiser] is losing mindshare as a consequence of several factors. Late last
> month, SUSE Labs employee Jeff Mahoney advocated replacing ReiserFS with
> ext3 as the default filesystem for the SUSE Linux distribution. Citing
> considerable scalability issues, poor support for extended attributes, and
> the small size of the ReiserFS developer community, Mahoney feels that
> ReiserFS is no longer appropriate for SUSE Linux.
>
> Hans Reiser's company, Namesys, has actively been developing Reiser4, a new
> version of the filesystem which has received funding from DARPA and
> Linspire. Reiser4 has not yet been included in the Linux kernel because of
> technical concerns and political issues. The Reiser4 project has only a
> handful of developers, and will suffer a potentially insurmountable setback
> if Hans Reiser is no longer able to participate.
> </quote>

I suppose that even a prolonged legal battle could curtail development
activity. I hope that it gets forked soon. I have 3 partitions on ReiserFS
and I would not like to make a transition.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie