Re: PC Mag on Vista RC2

  • Subject: Re: PC Mag on Vista RC2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:00:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Freeride ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 05:19 \__

> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:04:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> (currently a broken link, but I have the contents)
>
> Google cache

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:5s6R4eqgdhEJ:www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Software%3FArticle%3D/Computing/Software/S8Q8K2Q6+Up+to+60%25+of+the+code+in+the+new+consumer+version+of+Microsoft+new+Vista&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

Excellent! Here it is (before it disappears or expires).

===
Software

Apple A Threat To Windows Vista. Re Write Confirmed

David Richards - Saturday, 25 March 2006

The marketing director of a key Microsoft partner has confirmed that key
elements of Windows Vista are currently being re written.

Mr Raymond Vardanega, the Marketing Director, of Acer Australia has confirmed
independently of SmartHouse Magazine that Microsoft is having major problems
with its Vista operating system. He said "The decision to delay Vista into
the consumer market will have an impact on hardware sales particularly in
the Media Centre market. We have been told that Microsoft has bought in
programmers from the Xbox team to work on the problems. We have also been
told that up to 60% of the code will have some form of re writing or changes
made. We are told that Microsoft is concerned at the impact that the delay
will have on hardware manufacturers. We have raised our concerns directly
with Microsoft".

A major problem for Microsoft is that the current version of Media Centre
(MCE) is clumsy and prone to crashing. It contains code which is not
productive in delivering an entertainment experience for consumers. While on
one hand custom installers want an MCE server type environment to load and
operate home automation applications consumers simply want a bullet proof
system that allows them to download movies, play games, and manage
entertainment and family content. They do not want to combine application
computing with their media centre which in most cases is strategically
located close to a large screen or music system.

What SmartHouse is told is that Microsoft is working on Vista modular
structure that allows a consumer to install only what they want in a
specific environment. They are also working on Vista better interfacing with
the new Viiv hardware environment spanning Hi-Fi, Wireless for portable
audio distribution right the way through to a new generation of Viiv
compliant hardware such as LCD TV's that will come with a 350GB hard drive
wireless and the ability to load the Vista operating system directly into
the Viiv compliant TV. The TV will then be used for gaming, downloading
movies, music and TV shows. It will also interface with a Hi Fi or music
system either over an IP based cable system or via wireless.

We are told that current testing of the consumer version of Windows Vista for
consumers still needs a lot of work to cohesively pull these elements
together so that the next version actually meets consumer expectations.

We are also told that Microsoft is concerned that Apple could release a media
centre solution built on the Viiv platform. They know that Apple's iPod
strength, iTunes sites and relationship with content providers and vendors
who are now delivering home entertainment accessories built around the
Apple's 17pin iPod connector will have an impact that could well stop
Microsoft gaining a dominant position in the home with Vista."
===

The world ought to know this. UseNet archives will retain a copy. *smile*