Re: [News] Microsoft Misses XBox Production Targets, Microsoft Live a Failure

begin  oe_protect.scr
> More evidence of the gradual demise.
>
> Microsoft To Miss XBox 360 Production Targets By As Much As 25%
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Colin Sebastian at Lazard Capital Markets has warned
>| that he expects Microsoft's XBox 360 shipments to only
>| total 4.5 million for the year, instead of the 5
>| million expected. That says to me that the XBox 360
>| marketing plan is fading fast... Suddenly, that one-year
>| lead Microsoft had on Sony doesn't look like such
>| a big advantage after all.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061025/19252_id.html?.v=1
>
> Also today:
>
> Microsoft Live: Failing To Get the Word Out, and Failing
> Marketing 101 in the Process
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The bottom line: Microsoft entered the market, not because
>| they had a plan for delivering value to users, but because
>| someone else was making money there. And since this
>| wasn't intended to fulfill any specific need, there is
>| no marketing message for the initiative, even though it's
>| the most important thing they are doing. And with no
>| marketing, you can bet those grades -- and their
>| related financial losses -- aren't going to improve
>| either.
>|
>| Is it any wonder this company is floundering?
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061025/19248_id.html?.v=1

Considering this is one of the areas which could keep Microsoft afloat
as their desktop monopoly continues to collapse, it's amazing that
they're p*ssing around with IE7, trying to catch up with Firefox, a
/free/ product, when they should be working on Xbox, trying to catch up
with Sony, and finding a way of making money from it.

They've got very deep pockets, of course, with a market cap of something
like $44bn, a growth rate of around 10%-ish, and margins rather higher
than a retailer, so it's by no means over for them, but if they don't
address these basic problems, that $44b is going to shrink as rapidly as
their margins will.

Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
		-- Eric Hoffer