Re: [News] Parallels Brings Linux Virtualisation

  • Subject: Re: [News] Parallels Brings Linux Virtualisation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:10:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Monday 16 October 2006 18:31 \__

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2006/10/parallels_relea_1.html

>     I played around with the Parallels demo, but I had a LOT of trouble
> getting Linux (don't remember which distribution, sorry, but it was
> *probably* Ubuntu 5) to run under it. Ironically, Microsoft's Virtual PC
> worked a lot better for me. Ubuntu 5 works (but it was pretty slow); I
> think some version of Fedora Core also worked. Ubuntu 6 doesn't seem to
> work under Virtual PC.
>
>     Plus VPC is free (as in beer), while you have to pay for Parallels.

Parallels wasn't quite ready for Linux until recently. It's natural to assume
that VMWare, Xen and those other forks of Xen which are more mature would be
better (and cheaper). Your criticism (I assume it is a criticism) is like
saying that Windows is flawed because it doesn't play nice and interoperate
with my Linux boxes.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.