Re: Linux on the Visor?

  • Subject: Re: Linux on the Visor?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:42:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nrballardco@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 17 October 2006 06:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Linux coming to a Visor near you?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In part 2 of Mike Cane's Internet report he speculated on
>> | the possibility of a Linux Springboard module for the
>> | Visor. Hawkins let slip that "a Springboard module can
>> | be used to override the PalmOS within the Visor".
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/179/linux-coming-to-a-visor-near-you/
>
> AFAIK, this was never actually released.  It would have been cool,
> although I personally would rather run Linux on an HPC device.  I'm a
> console junkie, and the built-in keyboards make it easier to use
> command-line applications.  Wish I had a Jornada...
>
> http://www.jlime.org

A folding keyboard always beats one of those miniature keyboards which assume
you have chopsticks for fingers... or that two thumbs can do the work of 10
fingers. Mobile is still an issue. What's truly needed is some voice
recognition on mobile devices, but CPU capacity won't permit this... not
without some poor performance. Another option are gloves, with or without
some projected interface, or an optical analyser. It'll all come one day. A
symbian executive spoke about it recently too.