Re: no green light for vista

  • Subject: Re: no green light for vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:34:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jimserac ] on Sunday 15 October 2006 15:31 \__

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/06/377&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

> [...]
> which, it turns out, is not ready and won't be in the forseeable
> future.  This is sort of like that hilarious "hydrogen automobile" of
> the future that the oil dominated motor car companies keep mentioning
> but which will also most certainly not be available in the forseeable
> future, not even in 2011 as Lutz of GM promises and just like the
> vaporware "Picture Phone" that AT&T promised people for 30 yerars and
> which never was.
>
> Again, everyone who has not done so, please try out Linux, learn and
> implement, and free yourselves from Microsoft proprietary components.
> (You Linux users probably also want to kill the Microsoft components
> that seem to have been placed in many distros - have you noticed that
> in Suse 10.1, the disk performance is a lot better and the incessant
> disk thrashing stops once you remove mono, beagle and zen?).
>
> THIS is a wonderful chance to free ourselves from Microsoft, their
> policies of hoarding software information, their policies of refusing
> to admit security vulnerablities until someone publishes them, their
> policies of providing information at first only to those who have
> joined special groups or purchased expensive contracts and so forth.
>
> Once you have freed yourselves from Microsoft software, you will
> discover a whole new world of things to try and implement, most of them
> free.  It will require more intelligence and perhaps some
> experimentation than blindly installing prebuilt parts and components
> but it is well worth the price to gain control over everything that you
> do.
>
> Many companies, particularly IT departments, will fanatically oppose
> the introduction of Linux based systems and bring forth all sorts of
> old ideas, often referring to the Linuxes of 6 or 7 years ago and
> whinning that they could not support a new operating system, but, what
> the heck, they can't support the Microsoft one that they have now
> precisely because there is always some new update, some new security
> issue, or some messed up server administrator permission that is
> impacting people in some department anyway.
>
> Again, it cannot be reiterated more strongly - NOW IS THE TIME TO
> IGNORE VISTA AND GO LINUX.   THE TIME WILL NEVER BE BETTER.
>
> For those companies that do this, and many already have, only a few
> short years down the road you will be computing along, servicing the
> needs of your business and enjoying an IT budget dramatically lower
> than your competitors who remained with Microsoft.  Those who remain
> with Microsoft will be involved in endless time and expense upgrading,
> fixing, installing patches and enjoying LESS security than their Linux
> counterparts - this is the nature of things at Microsoft just as
> building energy inefficent crap cars is the way of things at Ford and
> it is not going to change irrespective of any bullshit that yuppie
> descendants of the founder choose to mention.

What's worth mentioning is that Microsoft was 'kind' enough to herald to the
world that Korea and Europe accept its 'gift'. The article from Doug was a
followup to that deceiving statement that Microsoft had issued. Wishful
thinking.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery