Re: [News] Free Open Source Software Can Even Afford Marketing Campaigns

  • Subject: Re: [News] Free Open Source Software Can Even Afford Marketing Campaigns
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:44:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 22 October 2006 08:54 \__

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1212676.php/Microsofts_new_Internet_Explorer_7_-_too_little_too_late
>> http://tinyurl.com/yegydj
>>
>> T-shirt: http://www.gunnison.us/dieie7.html
>>
>> Join the Fun! (of Firefox 2)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| All over the world, we're celebrating the launch of Firefox 2.
>>| Join the fun by hosting or attending a party. We're targeting
>>| the weekend of October 27th for the shared celebration, but
>>| if you're hosting, you make the call.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.firefoxparty.com/
>>

> I've been using a late release candidate of FF2 this week - it's very
> excellent indeed.  It also appears to be more stable than the previous
> version, and somewhat more responsive.
>
> One wonders how good it will be when it reaches version 7!

IE could not be absorbed until revision 4 or 5 when it was forcefed.
Microsoft's version bump is nothing to go by. They soon run out of rational
numbering and they start labelling versions as calendar years (e.g. Office
12 becomes 2007). Mandriva (formerly Mandrakesoft?) is making the same
mistake. Mandrake was a little more rational with 9.2, just before hitting
that second digit.

And hey! Who can beat the buzzword of version 2... or better shown/voiced as
2 point 0? Apache 2, WordPress 2, Firefox 2...

Opera, being proprietary, is appraoching dangerous territories and is making
baby steps (8.5->9->9.1 testing ATM). Look at SuSE 9.1, 9.2, 9.3...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie