Re: [News] Free Open Source Software Can Even Afford Marketing Campaigns

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 23 October 2006 07:00 \__

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1212676.php/Microsofts_new_Internet_Explorer_7_-_too_little_too_late

>>> I've been using a late release candidate of FF2 this week - it's very
>>> excellent indeed.  It also appears to be more stable than the previous
>>> version, and somewhat more responsive.
>>>
>>> One wonders how good it will be when it reaches version 7!
>>
>> IE could not be absorbed until revision 4 or 5 when it was forcefed.
>> Microsoft's version bump is nothing to go by. They soon run out of
>> rational numbering and they start labelling versions as calendar years
>> (e.g. Office 12 becomes 2007). Mandriva (formerly Mandrakesoft?) is making
>> the same mistake. Mandrake was a little more rational with 9.2, just
>> before hitting that second digit.
>
> Presumably they're already at that with IE, as IE7 will likely be
> released in 2007.  This was something Mr Gates wanted to do years ago,
> as he was looking for more ways of making cash - he wanted people to buy
> software as they did cars - apparently, in the US, cars often had a
> year-moniker attached to them.
>

>> And hey! Who can beat the buzzword of version 2... or better shown/voiced
>> as 2 point 0? Apache 2, WordPress 2, Firefox 2...
>
> It's big at the moment.  There is a genuine issue here, though, which is
> about how to open people's eyes to the "next thing".  Presently, as you
> say, if you use the term "two point zero" people interpret that as
> meaning the "next thing".  In a couple of years, (say, 2.0 years!),
> someone will have come up with another label.

Versions become meaningless. XMMS... soon enough AmaroK perhaps. As far as
Apache is concerned, I seem to be behind 0.9 versions. Or 0.8 when it comes
to WordPress...

The reality is that the gaps jump and widen for no apparent reason other than
snappiness and buzz.

IIRC, Tim Berners-Lee made an open call to drop this silly enthusiasm... and
Jeff Zeldman dissed the whole notion with an essay called Web 3.0, AFAICR.

>> Opera, being proprietary, is appraoching dangerous territories and is
>> making baby steps (8.5->9->9.1 testing ATM). Look at SuSE 9.1, 9.2, 9.3...
>>

> Perhaps it's just a cautious, Northern European approach?

Novell owned SuSE at that stage, so maybe it's Massachusetts' way of
imitating somebody else...

Look at Apple with OS X (10). Yes, it's a sequel to 9.x, but it could also be
X for UNIX... or NEXT.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
roy      pts/6                         Mon Oct 23 13:44 - 13:46  (00:01)