Re: Harvard Business School researchers say linux will never beat MS!!!

  • Subject: Re: Harvard Business School researchers say linux will never beat MS!!!
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:14:38 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:jB/a/xjZOJT/NfFL6DJU8Vw1dlM=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 19:35 \__
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:20:45 +0100
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.people.hbs.edu/rmasanell/
>>>
>>> A guy who received his Ph.D. from some obscure university several
>>> years ago. What does he know about technology? Errrr... well, he
>>> studied economics in Barcelona.
>>
>> Reminds me of Fawty Towers:
>>
>> Manwell: "I know narfing, I am from Bar-cel-ona"
>
> I wasn't referring to Barcelona as means of discreding the place, but merely
> echoing what stood out at the top of page 1. That aside, just reading the
> first few paragraphs I found (paragraph 2):
>
> "However, OSS has disadvantages too. Most importantly, it comes from behind
> in terms of market share (installed base)."
>
> ***Buzzz***
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base
>
> ,----[ Full quote ]
> | "Installed base is a measure of the number of units of a
> | particular type of system (usually a computing platform)
> | actually in use, as opposed to market share, which only reflects

But anyone with half a brain knows what it means Roy. Do you have half a
brain?

If there is a market of 200 people out there and 100 buy windows and the
other buy a copy of Linux for the cost of the CD, what % of the market
does MS have? 50%. The rest? Work it out. Ridiculously unlikely though
my examples was.

Playing clever boy pedant isn't big & clever.

You, and we, knew what he meant.

> |                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |
> | sales over a particular period. Because installed base includes
> | machines that may have been in use for many years, it is usually a
> | higher figure than market share. Many people see it as a more
> | reliable indicator of a platform's popularity."
> `----
>
> That's when I stopped reading. And so should the reviewer. When people
> get

That's when you stopped reading???????????????????

And you wonder why nOOBs stop trying to get Linux to install. Jesus,
double standards or what!?!?!??!

> technical terminology wrong and fall victim to misconception, peer review
> should have the paper rejected. The guys may have studied malarkey like
> Taylorism and can work out strategies, but their technical merits and
> understanding of groupthink is lacking due to the scope of their research.
> When a person from the field of economics approaches a discussion about
> computing, then you know you should take a step back. Ask yttrx.

Economics covers a lot of sins. I don't see that IT is any
different. Frankly I don't believe a word any economist says about
anything.

--
Not responsible for lost or stolen articles.