Re: Google default for IE7 ??

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 06 September 2006 03:15 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 17:22 \__
>>

>>>I've been running IE7RC1 since last week and finally got around to doing
>>>some heavier browsing with it.
>>>
>>>One thing I noticed is that they have a little "search box" in the upper
>>>right ala Firefox.   And the default (and only option out of the box) is
>>>....Google!
>>

>> Speculations (devil's advocate)
>>
>> * Test revisions can differ from the final product that gets the
>> 90th-minute tweak. This prevents antitrust lawsuits. When it's out on the
>> shelves without Google, MS will say "oops" and shy away. They appear to be
>> doing this with hardcoded links to Live services (only a couple of weeks
>> ago).
>>
>> * If users get MSN's horrible SE (Live search was recently buried...
>> buried aLive, that is), they will defect to other browsers (which
>> ironically require downloading /USING/ IE7), It's like selling burgers to
>> a hungrey person and having a long entry aisle with candy on each side of
>> the aisle.
>
> And once again, one may ask /why/?
>
> In what way, has Firefox done any damage to any paid Microsoft product?
>    None!  Not one dime has been extracted from the M$ revenue stream due
> to Firefox.   Zilch.  Not one thin dime.   Nossir.  Not a nickel.  Yea,
> a farthing.

Bull. For starters, many users were no longer channelled to the MSN portal.
That's just for starters. With applications, people can be controlled.
Without competing applications, competition is outmuscled. Mozilla has a lot
of spending money to continue to develop and expand. It earned a lot of that
money from Google.

> They haven't even gone Netscape and tried to make the Browser=The Desktop!

I should point out that the "Bull" was a friendly one. *smile*