Re: ie7 sooner run on linux than win9x?

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 20:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:18:37 +0100
> <11829574.S9cu1aOHan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 16:00 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:46:17 +0100

>>> Well, the good news is that for me at least,
>>> one app has been Mozillafied.  :-)
>>

>> Excellent. That's progress! *smile* I love the sound of collars popping.
>>

>>> The bad news is that leaves one app left -- our bug reporting system.
>>> Grump.
>>

>> Use Linux. That bug system would not be needed anymore. Just log in to
>> bugs.DOMAIN.org instead. *grin*
>
> Not quite that simple; this is our internal bugtracking system.  I
> wouldn't mind replacing it with something like Gnats or Bugzilla but
> would have to research it.  I do know it's SQL Server based.

Go for Trac. It's excellent. Used in WordPress and replaces older stuff like
Mosquito. Also, there is a commercial company behind it while it's FOSS
(honest!).

>>> Still, the fact that IE (sans ActiveX, presumably) runs on
>>> Linux is nice -- if one absolutely has to run IE, one can.
>>

>> And accept the security risks?
>
> I'm in Linux; they're not nearly as bad here. :-)

I'll drink (WinE) to that.

>> I can still remember your interesting
>> experiment where you tested if the IE bug was cross platform. I think it
>> involved JS, but I can't recall for sure...
>
> All it needs is an executable on one's Desktop directory,
> at least the way I've set up my system.  The name of the
> executable is the domain one wants to hijack.  For
> example, ~/Desktop/www.stupidstuff.org .  Type in
> www.stupidstuff.org in IE, and one runs that executable
> instead of showing www.stupidstuff.org  (which has a link
> to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, among other silliness).

Now I remember...

> And that executable can do *anything* allowed by the account,
> but unless the user is running as root, can't damage the
> rest of the system, though it could wipe out all of the
> account's data and probably foul up things real good for
> that user.
>
> If there is an IE Javascript vulnerability I'm not aware
> of it...though I probably should be. :-)

*silly grin*

Best wishes,

Can Mac OS X and Vista catch up? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjv0S_k0xo
  3:05am  up 47 days 15:17,  8 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.58, 0.55