[News] Linux Tool Raises Download Speeds

Linux ultra fast command line download accelerator

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I decided to get rid of wget. I have downloaded axel - a light
| download accelerator for Linux command line.
|
| How Axel works?
|
| Axel does the same thing any other accelerator does: it opens more than
| one HTTP/FTP connection per download and each connection transfers its
| own, separate, part of the file.
`----

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/download-accelerator-for-linux-command-line-tools.html

Windows did not even support multi-threading in FTP until Windows XP.
Recently, it took my colleague (who uses Windows 2000) 3 hours to do what I
could finish within 5 minutes (KDE). I also found that scp/pscp is 3 times
slower in Windows (machines with similar specs and identical 100MBit/Sec
connection). It's no surprise that one Linux server handles the load of half
a dozen Windows servers, each of which is far more expensive.