Re: Pre-installed Windows "worth" $120?

__/ [ Cr00zng ] on Friday 01 September 2006 20:27 \__

http://aramis.obspm.fr/~coulais/LogicielsLibres/Detaxe/JugementCRESP-ASUS_06.07.06.pdf
>>> Still scratching my head, but now reading it as:-
>>>
>>> XP
>>> 100 Euro refund

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/b7fc5989869233c2/e9074d52774cb88b#e9074d52774cb88b

>> It will also give a a stronger push for OEM's to give up on Windows
>> altogether, offering choice instead. Microsoft's scare tactics will no
>> longer have an effect although, for vanity purposes, they would prefer
>> bland laptops rather than preinstallation of Linux. They try to keep Linux
>> out of sight, e.g. in the showroom.
>
> Your dreaming again...
>
> The demand keeps Linux out of the desktop/laptop market, not anything
> else. Dell did offer Linux as an alternative OS for their desktop/laptop
> line couple of years ego, which they discontinued after a short while
> for lack of interest.

Proof please.

> If there's going to be a a sizable interest for OEM desktop Linux, as in
> companies can make money on it, they will be more than happy to bring it
> in the showroom. As they already do for the server platform...

This only happened earlier this year.

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg

,----[ Snippet ]
| One company has not played a role in Dell's Linux decisions. "Microsoft
| has not talked to us about Linux. If they did, I wouldn't care. It's none
| of their business," concluded Dell.

History suggests otherwise. To quote:

,----[ Quote ]
| ...PC makers remain loyal to (read: scared of) Microsoft.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0918/102e.html?partner=yahoomag

As Novell's CEO says:

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
`----

http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0
                         (link now broken)

To add a part of Rex's post:

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 06:10 \__

> HP announced that one of their top-of-the-line proliant laptops, along
> with one of their desktop machines, would be offered with SUSE Linux.
> They were introducing the AMD-64 processor based machines.  For a few
> weeks, it looked like HP was about to "break out" and start
> mass-marketing machines preinstalled with Linux.
>
> Within a few weeks however, things very suddenly changed, and HP
> stopped promoting their machines with preinastalled Linux, even before
> there was a chance to do a "test market".  Why did they suddenly stop?
> Was there a sudden management change?  If so, what triggered that?  It
> certainly merits at least a simple investigation, by federal agents,
> and some sworn depositions collected in confidence.  Just to confirm
> whether or not Microsoft is honoring the "No retailation against OEMs
> who offer Linux" provision of the settlement.
>
> Lennovo as well, announced that they were going to offer the T60p,
> their top-of-the-line T series thinkpad, with Linux.  Within 48 hours,
> they withdrew the offer.  Again, it merits investigation, even if it
> turns out to be nothing.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - I'm still waiting for a proof for that arbitrary emission of FUD in your
message.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  7:20am  up 44 days 19:32,  7 users,  load average: 1.27, 0.47, 0.37