Re: [News] 500 MHz AMD/Linux Computer Smaller Than a Matchbox

__/ [ ed ] on Saturday 02 September 2006 18:12 \__

> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 12:52:38 -0400
> Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> ed wrote:

>> >framing > and MDF). From the ground up, the bottom portion of the
>> >unit would be > made up of these nodes. I'd give it say, 100 nodes
>> >per layer to be > generous, with 1" of headroom per layer. Go up to
>> >50 layers, that's > 5,000 nodes in 50". Leaves me with 15" for
>> >storage (a few Terabytes > there) and power (give it what, a 6.5kW
>> >redundant stack and maybe a > couple 800VA UPS bricks? That's ten ATX
>> >power supplies). Still room to > swing a cat. Building the cooling
>> >system would be fun too - the > simplest way would be to build
>> >ducting up the back of the rack and > have the (stacked) fans
>> >somewhere up top.
>> >
>> > I never thought about a cluster of the things, but it's an
>> > entertaining idea. I'm not sure what I'd do with all those nodes,
>> > other than maybe run my own search engine/agents.
>> >
>> > Here's my decksian framing:
>> >
>> > http://www.s5h.net/pictures/dscn0182_medium.jpg
>> >

>> How do you keep it so neat?
>>
>> As for the cluster idea... Wow, it's one of my favorite dreams, to own
>> a decent sized cluster and not go broke at the bank. My first use of a
>> cluster would be for running compile farm via distcc. I could put it
>> online with a modest apache frontend and custom compile kernels
>> while-you-wait. I wonder how long it wold take for a 5 thousad node
>> cluster to compile a kernel? A minute maybe?
>
> It would take a little longer I think, due to network bandwidth issues,
> unless you can store all 200meg of the kernel code in memory... The
> network bandwidth will add a huge overhead.
>
> Also, 5,000 network cables?! That's one big mess! Not to mention going
> broke through 10,000 RJ45 connectors, callouses on every finger from
> cutting and crimping...
>
> Personally 10 would suffice for a while!

Is it Kylie that you keep so close to your wares? *smile*

Here's my home setup

http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2006/01/08012006/pict001.ppm.jpg

http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2006/01/08012006/pict001.ppm.jpg

It's the dining table, by the way. I only use my home computer while I eat.