Re: Google and validation

  • Subject: Re: Google and validation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:29:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Borek ] on Saturday 02 September 2006 09:19 \__

> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 07:25:54 +0200, John Bokma <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> second note: 4 944 vs 3 902 sounds like quite a saving. The problem is
>> that nowadays quite some site send out their HTML compressed (gzip), and
>> it might very well be the case that the former is smaller then the
>> latter.
>>
>> But Google *should* have a serious look at their HTML, I agree on that
>> point.
>
> Google is a bunch of morons when it comes to HTML. Look at their page -
> they for ages use one-letter ids (two years at least IIRC) to make the
> code shorter and to save on bandwidth, but they can't understand that they
> can save huge properly using css. That's an old news for some.

Very sad news, too. To elaborate on my other post, this sets
a  terrible  examples for Webmasters (think along the  lines
of:  "well,  even Google don't make it valid, so why  should
/I/?").  What's more, how are newer and less mature browsers
supposed  to cope with attributes that intentionally neglect
quotes/apostrophes?          Isn't         that         what
specification/standards/recommendations  are  for?  Equality
and  independence  on a product? That which doesn't  involve
hacks, workarounds and undocumented exception handling? What
about OpenDocument? I am glad that Google don't have a go at
making  /that/  'efficient'... I am worried that  Google  is
beginning   to  adopt  Microsoft's  habits  of   'extending'
standards   to  suit  their  own  convenience   and   agenda
(compromising  for  speed  in that case).  Microsoft  Office
formats,  for example, use binary because it's quicker  than
XML   or   a   well-structured  and   easily   interpertable
(backward-'engineerable') form, among other reasons.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
  2:20pm  up 44 days  2:32,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00