Re: [News Digest] 01/09/06 24 hrs

Mark Kent wrote:
<snip massive post>

I like Roy's posts, but I don't read them all; the subject is usually
enough for me to decide what is interesting.

Conversely, a digest post requires that I read through the whole message
to find topics of interest. This is time consuming, laborious, and not
very helpful.

I realise that there are a few (mainly Trolls) who object to Roy
bombarding the group with such a high volume of pro-Linux/anti-Windows
material, but it is all mainly on topic and good advocacy. I can't help
but feel that you've succumbed to some kind of pressure to appease the
Trolls; who in the face of overwhelming evidence of Linux's
achievements, and Microsoft's failures; have little left to advocate
other than personal attacks and whining about Roy's methods. The ghost
town that was c.o.m-w.advocacy is evidence enough of that.

This is an unmoderated group, and I'm no Net cop (just expressing an
opinion), but huge posts like yours are considered bad netiquette, and
at least should be tagged with the [LONG] flag. Digest posts work for
mailing lists only, and are frankly not really appropriate for Usenet.

Now in defence of the antagonists:

Personally I would much rather that messages on this list comprised
mainly of first-hand opinion, rather than news items regurgitated
verbatim. As some have already suggested, sometimes it does look like
Roy has simply plugged an RSS feed into a local INN server. Now we all
quote from websites, and Roy does usually draw a brief conclusion to
each article, but I agree that the format can be objectionable, even if
I do agree with most of its contents.

Looking back at how this group used to be before Roy's appearance, there
are proportionately far fewer Troll posts now, and frankly I'd rather
see a thousand of his messages than even one from idiots like
Jean-Francois Mezei or Gary M. Stewart. Maybe he has taken a
sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it works, and that's good enough for me.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 14:10:33 up 76 days, 14:27,  5 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.75, 0.73