Re: [News] Windows Attacks on the Rise

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:34:36 +0100, Bruce Scott TOK wrote
(in article <200609011134.k81BYaax001906@xxxxxxxxxx>):

>>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6111583.html
>>
>> "If a PC is hijacked, SANS Internet Storm Center recommends completely
>> erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the computer's operating system.
>> "That sounds drastic...but it gets rid of the worm, gets rid of the botnet,
>> and plus you have a brand new box," according to the ISC."
>
> Then it's time to install Linux.  Pick a few live CDs, try them out, and
> stick to the one you like best.

Yes, I've been through that trying out distros to put on my Dell laptop for
my wife.

PCLinuxOS played guess the password, then left me with the screen split such
that the top half of the picture was below the bottom half, no doubt there's
a tweak for it, but really...

Ubunto looks nice but there doesn't seem to be any way of persuading it to
run the screen at anything above 1280x1024. Again, doubtless there's a hack
but fiddling with .conf files is so last century. Pity.

SuSE 10.1 got everything right first time, so that's the one that we
installed.

--

Peter