Re: [News] Even Chris Pirillo Envies GNU/Linux

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Monday 18 September 2006 15:33 \__

>> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 15 September 2006 22:56 \__
>>>
>>>     It seems like he's willing praise -- and bash -- all three platforms.
>>> Actually, now that I've re-read these quotes, I don't see him ever
>>> bashing
>>> Linux.
>>
>> YYou're  looking at 2006!!! Go backwards. Please. Pirillo has
>> been  filling  its  mind with disgust over  Microsoft  since
>> around  2005.  Microsoft uses his site in demos and  he  has
>> been  pretty much getting his food from Microsoft (for  many
>> years, in fact). Do not be misled.
>>
>> Speaking  of  which, Pirillo switched to WordPress  recently
>> (LAMP/FOSS)  and  he has joined us in the WordPress  mailing
>> lists.  Even  Scoble moved to WordPress,  while  _officially
>> employed_  by Microsoft. I expect Pirillo's story to end  in
>> the same way sooner rather than later. Paul Thurrott will be
>> no exception. These guys are /already/ looking elsewhere and
>> investigation  alternatives  in their blog reviews. Mary  Jo
>> Foley  is  a skeptic, but she's still dominated by  feelings
>> and inclination toward apologism.
>
>     I guess I'll take your word for it. The "Categories" system on his blog
> always turns up with 0 posts when I choose "Microsoft", "Technology" or
> even "All", and when I jump to 2005 and 2004, he seems to be talking about
> Christmas and New Years rather than any particular OS.

There was a blog migration. I can't recall if it was Geeklog, but I suspect
not. Let me think for a second... it was a similar name... possibly
commercial, even probably so... okay, it's out there in the archives, but
either way, his move to a LAMP-based blog had him very, very satisfied. We
helped him on the WordPress Hackers mailing list at the time. And be sure,
Pirillo describes himself as a Microsoft "evangelist". Right now he seems
more like a critic. Same with Thurrott, Scoble and other high-profile
bloggers. They say it's intended to improve the company they care for (that
which subsidises them). But it's clear that often they get furious and the
language shows this. Thurrott (about Vista): "Welcome to the dark side";
Scoble: "Microsoft is on a freefall"; Pirillo (about Longhorn demo): "my
fingers are smacking the keyboard in anger as I watch this disappointing
piece and I am growing very impatient" (can't recall exact quote).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie