Re: [News] Even Chris Pirillo Envies GNU/Linux

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 15 September 2006 22:56 \__

>> Vista's UI is Better Than This!?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Watch and drool. By the way, you can try this on your own PC right now!
>> | I'm not yet sure how to unlock every one of these visual effects, but
>> | damn - XGL is impressive...
>> `----
>>
>> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/06/vistas-ui-is-better-than-this/
>>
>> Pirillo is a Microsoft fan/loyalist.
>
> Is he?
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/11/the-vista-bashing-bandwagon/
> <quote>
> It's not often I find myself agreeing with The Inquirer. Microsoft Vista is
> still a mess:
> </quote>
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/11/the-windows-vista-challenge/
> <quote>
> To add insult to injury, XGL sports infinitely better (and reasonably more)
> eye candy than Aero does. Windows Vista is hardware hungry, no doubt - and
> I'm challenging Microsoft's assertion that Aero is a "breakthrough user
> experience."
> </quote>
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/09/ten-things-i-love-about-windows-vista/
> <quote>
> Start Menu's Start Search. Very, very nice. I wish Microsoft would remap
> the Win+R key combo to it, though. I can tell it's going to be a time saver
> for many users - myself included. It reminds me of OS X's Spotlight. Too
> bad I hate the rest of the Start Menu.
> </quote>
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/08/leopard-vs-windows-vista/
> <quote>
> "I challenge you to name what in Leopard justifies $149," Brad interjected.
> "Because I sure can't think of one." Apparently, you're not thinking hard
> enough - or you haven't done your homework:
>
>     * Time Machine (amazing interface, long overdue)
>     * Mail updates (To Do, Notes, Stationery, RSS - Outlook killer)
> [...]
> Microsoft's Service Packs are free, and they offer us. security updates,
> which should be free to begin with. Oh, wait - and pop-up blockers for
> browsers that are sadly past their prime.
> </quote>
>
> http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/05/ignore-the-windows-apologists/
> <quote>
> As a Windows evangelist, I'm rooting for Apple in this space (and you
> should be, too). Microsoft needs truly healthy desktop competition - and
> that's only going to come if, as Jim puts it, Jobs can forego his ego.
> Windows apologists, however, are not to be trusted. If you don't believe
> that UI matters, why not just slap yourself back into the days of the
> command line and be done with it?
>
> Aero, on its own, is absolutely outstanding - but the half-assed platform
> implementation is what leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. Vista runs
> fast enough, so long as you have a high-speed memory stick acting as a
> [...]

YYou're  looking at 2006!!! Go backwards. Please. Pirillo has
been  filling  its  mind with disgust over  Microsoft  since
around  2005.  Microsoft uses his site in demos and  he  has
been  pretty much getting his food from Microsoft (for  many
years, in fact). Do not be misled.

Speaking  of  which, Pirillo switched to WordPress  recently
(LAMP/FOSS)  and  he has joined us in the WordPress  mailing
lists.  Even  Scoble moved to WordPress,  while  _officially
employed_  by Microsoft. I expect Pirillo's story to end  in
the same way sooner rather than later. Paul Thurrott will be
no exception. These guys are /already/ looking elsewhere and
investigation  alternatives  in their blog reviews. Mary  Jo
Foley  is  a skeptic, but she's still dominated by  feelings
and inclination toward apologism.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie