Re: ~article~ Are you Google's gopher?

__/ [ tonnie ] on Friday 15 September 2006 12:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz schreef:
>> __/ [ Big Bill ] on Friday 15 September 2006 09:17 \__

>>> Because it's fun. Make sweeping the streets into a fun game instead of
>>> deadly boring and you'll have clean streets.

>>> I finally got IE7 going yesterday, after a few snafus. The sites I've
>>> viewed so far through it seem ok, much to my chagrin. I was hoping for
>>> a coding frenzy :-(
>>
>> I thought IE7 requires XP at the least. Aren't you using Windows 98 SE?
>> Which reminds me: please upgrade as there are no longer patches available.
>> Your machine is a menace that could pollute the Web (us included) with
>> SPAM and DDOS attacks. Refusing to do so is just irresponsible. YMMV. The
>> most modern Linux distributions would run gracefully on hardware which is
>> Windows 98-compatible, in case you are willing to harness new skills with
>> the fastest growing platform.
>
> As far is i can remember, Win98 SE was the most secure, even more than
> XP. And now it has become a system that less are using, chances are it
> will become more secure in time. No virus maker that is respecting
> him/herself will see it as an important target anymore.
>
> And lets face it, since Linux aint used by the majority, it will be
> targeted less. Once it has become large enough, there will be searched
> for exploits and possible safety issues on a larger scale until it can
> and will be abused.

That's a widespread fallacy that is very convenient for Windows advocates to
use. Any security guru will tell you it is not true. See, for example, the
following:

The short life and hard times of a Linux virus

,----[ Quote ]
| For a Linux binary virus to infect executables, those executables must
| be writable by the user activating the virus. That is not likely to be
| the case. Chances are, the programs are owned by root and the user is
| running from a non-privileged account. Further, the less experienced
| the user, the lower the likelihood that he actually owns any
| executable programs. Therefore, the users who are the least savvy about
| such hazards are also the ones with the least fertile home directories
| for viruses.

                                        http://librenix.com/?inode=21

I am not sure the above refers to memory allocation in GNU/Linux, which makes
memory buffer overflow exploits almost impossible. Windows was built as a
single-user O/S from the ground up, so it lacks the solid absis
(pseudo-multiuser does not help). Jim Allchin said Windows needs 60% of its
code to be rewritten, for a reason.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz  \ Spread Mozilla Firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Mem:    514480k total,   476316k used,    38164k free,    53424k buffers