Re: ~article~ Are you Google's gopher?

> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 03:17 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[..]

> I forgot to clarify that my intent in including this was the presence
> of ReactOS. I wasn't not trying to preach in favour of GNU/Linux.

Was clear to me :-)

[..]
> Your experience with O/Sen is broader than mine, which is why it's a
> worthy discussion. Usually, however, it's more about the applications,
> rather than the underlying O/S.

In my case the applications are tied to the OS, and the "alternatives"
are no alternatives. This is, in general, for many applications the
case, but OSS is changing this for the good IMO. In the past, when I
used a "non-mainstream" OS I had either to compile my own OSS, use an
outdated binary, or just hope the program was going to be ported.

> It is truly a shame that people's
> perception of OSS underestimates its value and capabilities, due to
> lack of marketing. Many see Firefox as the embodiment of OSS in the
> mainstream, but it goes far beyond this.

I see PHP, Perl, Apache, MySQL, OOo, GIMP, Python, etc. But that has
more to do with my line of work :-). Friends use FireFox and sometimes
OOo. If Firefox is #1, then maybe OOo might be second.

[...]
> I quite like the looks of Enlightenment myself. Always have (since
> around 2001 when I began using it). I wonder if there's an Elive or
> E17 image somewhere. It should be out there, but I cam not too
> familiar with VMWare.
>
> http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/Screenshots/

Since most of the time my desktop is covered in windows, and I prefer
windows to have as little eyecandy as possible. I've tried things like
semi-transparent windows, etc. but I just can't get used to that.
Animated windows, menu's, etc. I turn off.

I would rather invest in a dual head solution instead of look-through
windows :-). As for XGL, or the demo's I have seen, cool as a graphics
demo, but to me unpractical to use. (Wobbling windows, etc.).

> In the US, an atheist is still perceived as the exception, an
> alternative if you like. I think a lot is perceptual in these
> contexts, but rarely is it obvious to the observer.

Yup, to me an alternative in software means: a program that can be used
instead of another program, but has all the *required* functionality of
the latter without being counterproductive. I never like it when people
reply to "I have a problem with A"  with "use B" just because.

--
John    Need help with SEO? Get started with a SEO report of your site:

    --> http://johnbokma.com/websitedesign/seo-expert-help.html