Re: [News] UNIX Groups to Be Absorbed in Linux?

begin  oe_protect.scr
BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Ageing Australian Unix and Open Systems Users Group faces call to disband
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ageing_AUUG_faces_call_to_disband/0,130061733,339271060,00.htm
>>>
>>> This could really strengthen Linux, support- and development-wise.
>>
>> This is growth!  I thought that most of the Unix User Groups had
>> recognised and included linux from ages past;  presumably, there was
>> someone in the Aussie group who didn't like linux for some reason.
>>

> I'm afraid a touch of snobbishness still remains. Some of those keeping to
> UNIX have no choice, because a port of their software would be too costly,
> but for others it is just plain stubborness. Linux, son of UNIX, is still
> sometimes looked at as if it were still in short pants, it's hard sometimes
> to treat the kids as adults.

Fear of the new and familiarity with the old are the mainstays of
conservatism.  Having said that, I'm also a great believer in "if it's
not broken, don't fix it";  however, this sentiment, admirable as it is
in production environments for stability, is anathema to development,
progress and change.

> I was one of those too, although I used Linux as test servers very early on,
> for testing code/scripts, I was a bit stubborn when it came to moving live
> stuff off the UNIX onto the Linux. I think it was more a gradual change, in
> that for ease when a UNIX problem came up, I would take that job over to
> the Linux. So that a hitch with say NIS, for the sake of speed I would give
> that job over to the Linux to get the main system going again, then could
> take my time solving the problem on the UNIX. But then would think 'why
> move it back at all, rather than let the Linux do that job'. So it went on
> with dhcp, mail servers and so on.

I think this same thing has probably happened all over the planet...

> These days I wouldn't choose UNIX simply because I believe that Linux has
> surpassed it now. Maybe not in very high volume communications yet, but
> that is likely to be just a matter of time.

Me too.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward,
then we are a sorry lot indeed."
-- Albert Einstein