Re: [News] UNIX Groups to Be Absorbed in Linux?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 15 September 2006 09:41 \__

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ageing_AUUG_faces_call_to_disband/0,130061733,339271060,00.htm

>> This could really strengthen Linux, support- and development-wise.
>
> This is growth!  I thought that most of the Unix User Groups had
> recognised and included linux from ages past;  presumably, there was
> someone in the Aussie group who didn't like linux for some reason.

Well, I initially saw this article in Groklaw, but I also found the
following:

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_4336061

Huntsman to lead business execs on trade mission to China next month

,----[ Quote ]
|    Also on hand will be executives for software company The SCO Group,
| Zions First National Bank, Parker Aerospace, which makes flight and
| engine control systems for airliners, and industrial suppliers
| including Orbit Irrigation Products Inc., according to the governor's
| office.
`----

There are clearly those who still wish to extract money from
perfectly-replaceable software that can otherwise be obtained not only in
open form, but also for free. It's a matter of squeezing what's left inside
the goose with the golden eggs. And in this economy, gold has no value.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.