Re: ~article~ Are you Google's gopher?

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:58:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Big Bill ] on Friday 15 September 2006 09:17 \__
>
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:37:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [ Paul ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 17:44 \__

>>>More recently, Google unveiled a servcies wherein people label images for
>>>Google. Amazon has been doing something similar, but compensated people for
>>>their time. Microsoft does the same thing when it encourages people to
>>>serve as test dummies. Why would people help multi-billion corporations for
>>>free?
>>
>> Because it's fun. Make sweeping the streets into a fun game instead of
>> deadly boring and you'll have clean streets.
>>
>>>it's beyond me...
>>>
>>>Microsoft wants more Vista testers
>>
>> I finally got IE7 going yesterday, after a few snafus. The sites I've
>> viewed so far through it seem ok, much to my chagrin. I was hoping for
>> a coding frenzy :-(
>
>I thought IE7 requires XP at the least. Aren't you using Windows 98 SE?

I have two machines, 98SE on my main machine and XPSP2 on what will
become my main machine.

> Which
>reminds me: please upgrade as there are no longer patches available.

There's been none for while. There is a version of 98SE that's been
worked on by furrowed-brow types that overcomes a lot of the problems
it's had (they say) that I may get around to upgrading to yet.

> Your
>machine is a menace that could pollute the Web (us included) with SPAM and
>DDOS attacks. Refusing to do so is just irresponsible.

DDOS attacks? SPAM? How? I'm using Sygate Personal so I should be ok.
I used Zone Alarm for years but that got into a scrap with something
and I ditched it for Sygate.

> YMMV. The most modern
>Linux distributions would run gracefully on hardware which is Windows
>98-compatible, in case you are willing to harness new skills with the
>fastest growing platform.

Would all the software be compatible too? I have tons of it.

I have to migrate over to XP as more and more software I use everyday
starts to need it. The CSE validators (linters, I know) no longer
support 98 so that's one reason. The music software I have supports it
less and less. So, reluctantly, it has to be done.

BB
--
http://www.crystal-liaison.com/nachtmann/dolphin-box.html
http://www.crystal-liaison.com/armani/a-little-kiss.html