Re: [News] It's Time for Linux

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:36:37 +0100

> It may be time to give Linux another try
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | If you have an old PC lying around (or even a brand new one), this
> may be | the time to give Linux another try.
> |
> | Yes, I know, you expect Linux, the free operating system developed
> by | volunteers all over the world, to be nerdy and hard to use.
> |
> | And, when compared to Windows, it used to be. But several new
> | distributions of Linux make it painfully easy to get up and running
> on | Linux without spending a dime.
> `----
>
> http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/12964

I'm not so convinced that an old Pentium would run anything all that
well.

What really hurts the linux newbies is when they expect to be able to
run things like Firefox on a P75 and it run just like Firefox on a 1gh
athlon or something. I agree that there's no problems installing it, and
yes it does run etc.

The oldest PC in our company is a AMD 200Mhz operating as a DNS server,
its more than 10 years old I believe. It takes a licking, but keeps on
ticking. Has regular upgrades, but gee whiz, it takes an age to do
encryption.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
proud bash hacker