Re: [News] It's Time for Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 14:54 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> It may be time to give Linux another try
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> |

>> No, lets dump this idea that Linux should go on the old crappy machine
>> that has served as a place to pile your books and dust collections on.
>>
>> Instead put Linux on as good a machine as you can manage and just enjoy
>> the fact that Linux actually uses the hardware, you get the power of your
>> machine working for you.
>>

> I fully agree.  Linux on an old machine was great for server usage,
> where horsepower is not, in the main, much of an issue.  However, for
> desktop usage, where graphical performance/responsiveness /is/ an issue,
> then newer hardware is the better choice.
>
> Using linux is like having a processor upgrade anyway!
>
> <snip>

I agree with Bear on this. Although I have old hardware lying about, it was
never worth the time (let alone the little practical use). However, there is
probably potential in recycling of merely everything but the motherboard.
Even a second low-volume hard-drive, for instance, can give you some
redundancy which is used by scripting or whatever...

I suppose the main issue with legacy hardware are hardware components which
are inseparable (unlike peripherals) and are not modifiable (unlike
software). As an example, there is not much work you can assign to a 100MHz
processor nowadays. It only consumes a lot of power.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
Swap:  1036184k total,   387760k used,   648424k free,    71220k cached