Re: Microsoft Pretends It Has New Tricks Up Its Sleeves

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:50:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Microsoft to Unveil New Search Engine
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft to Unveil Updated Search Engine 'Live Search' in Latest Move
>| to Compete With Rivals
>`----
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060911/microsoft_search.html?.v=4
>
>A word of caution: this is the third or fourth time I can recall that
>Microsoft launches a supposedly 'brand new' engine. The share of Live/MSN
>search keeps declining while Google/Yahoo gain.
>
>Recent story:
>
>Windows Live Search Vanishes
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| A visit to search.live.com only returns a "Service unavailable message,"
>| and the link to Search Only from Live.com delivers a very
>| pedestrian-looking search form. Search results look about the same as
>| those on MSN Search.
>`----
>
>http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/searchinsider/wpn-49-20060901WindowsLiveSearchVanishes.html
>
>Let's no forget the fact that it takes years to build a good index, cache,
>domain blacklistd, let alone a loyal userbase. As another word of warning,
>boycott IE7 because it sends Microsoft a list of all pages that you visit in
>order for them to improve search results. Your privacy is jeopardised and it
>goes beyond cookies and search queries. IE7 is forcefed as a security
>update, but it can be blocked.

Given that far and away the majority of users will have no care about
nor concept of what's involved, this seems futile.

BB
--

http://www.crystal-liaison.com/mats-jonasson/aniara-i137200.html
http://www.crystal-liaison.com/mats-jonasson/angel-fish.html