Re: [News] Open Source Approach is Ideal for DIY Projects

  • Subject: Re: [News] Open Source Approach is Ideal for DIY Projects
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:21:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 11 September 2006 17:29 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Invasion of the DIY Robots
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/sep2006/id20060907_525435.htm?campaign_id=bier_inns.g3a.rssd5
>>>
>>> Lego is keen on Open Source and Linux. These are perceived as preferable
>>> approaches to education. There were many article about this earlier this
>>> year. Their recent project reflect on this strategy. DIY contradicts the
>>> 'out of the box' approach. From "can't look" or "look, but don't touch",
>>> it's gearing up towards "look and touch". (Young) Engineers can only be
>>> trained by tinkering.
>>>
>>> Also see:
>>>
>>> Lego Mindstorm with Linux Mini-HOWTO
>>>
>>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Lego/index.html
>>
>> I do wonder if the present shrinkage and closure of science departments,
>> the reduction of Biology, Chemistry & Physics into one "Science" GCSE,
>> are related to the moves over the last 20-30 years to close everthing
>> down and rein-in "intellectual property".
>>
>> Our upcoming engineers used to be upcoming because they'd been doing it
>> "at home" when they were kids.  Nowadays, who can?
>
> I grew up on Lego. Lego was my thing. The Open Source approach, in hindsight.
> Ironically Lego is sometimes used as an analogy to ridicule OSS, but the
> thoughts are altogether flawed. Allow me to explain as my thoughts flow
> along. When it comes to Lego, I wouldn't just buy the pricey new complete
> set and follow the instructions. I'd have like 3 large boxes full of pieces
> (must have cost a fortune in retrospect, but I shared it with my brother),
> from which I built some fairly large things. Mom and dad were very proud.
> *smile* Then there was Playmobil (I think they are now dead, or at least in
> financial problems that I recently read about... is it spelled PlayMobile? I
> can't be bothered to look that up ATM). The latter took a closed-source-like
> approach. You get what you pay for and it stays as is. But it never truly
> caught my attention or had any real 'retention' (to alliterate better). With
> Playmobil, you just buy, buy, buy. Waste culture. And what you buy will
> constantly remain in the same form. The mix-and-match, not at all on the
> contrary to Lego, involves black boxes, which are repellent. That why I
> always took apart a Lego vehicle, or house, or spacecraft once it was
> assembled in line with the boxed instructions.
>
> I miss Lego. But I must have given up on it when I was about 6 or 7. The
> memories remain and many years later I realise the parallels in the context
> of software. It's nerve-tickling. Linux and OSS: it's all fun and games.

The more grown-up stuff was meccano, as I recall.  Lego is wonderful, of
course, and my kids have spent lots of time playing with it.  No2 son
tends to make sculpture-like models of things with it, and really
favours it.  No1 son is more of an engineering/science type, and will
probably be turning to meccano soon, I think.  Now made in France, btw!

> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
>
> OTPS - I am only guessing that Nessunu has departed temporarily or moved into
> read mode. Someone had exposed his real identity before he stepped out.
> Maybe he's just on vacation. Or so I hope...

I'm sure he'll be fine.

	"... freedom ... is a worship word..."
	"It is our worship word too."
		-- Cloud William and Kirk, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown