Re: [News] Why Open Source (Linux) is Better Than Windows

__/ [ owl ] on Monday 11 September 2006 17:29 \__

>> Ubuntu also has a good mentra. And while it's largely inherited from
>> Debian, the Debian project is facing some problems.
>>

> Is the quote below supposed to illustrate some the "problems"
> the Debian project is facing?
>

>> Debian Etch is not ready for release
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I'm scared by Debian etch. It'll probably become the worst Debian
>> | release ever. It's going to hurt our reputation.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.infodrom.org/~joey/log/?200609102259
>>

> Did you the page?  The reason he thinks it's not ready for release:
>
> "It worked. Out of the box. Without tweaking anything.
> That's so non-Debian..."
>
> "Where are the hours of fiddling around how to properly add USB
> stuff to the system? Where are the evenings you needed to debug such
> stuff? Nowadays it just works? Where's the Debian we all knew?"

True. I didn't read that carefully enough (although I read the whole thing at
the time). He seems to complain about migration of his home directory, as
well as poor support for USB automount, which is possibly a timing issue.

But there are other stories which make the prospects of the Debian project
look a little grim, which is something I would hate to believe is true.
There's the resignation of one top figure, the dropping of Schilling and his
code (some criticised the move because of the necessity of that code). Atop
that, there are several reasons for tensions with the Ubuntu camp
(Canonical). It's nothing new, but the heated debates had Shuttleworth write
a long blog item praising and acknowledging Debian. I think that Ubuntu
steals Debian's thunder and Ubuntu is sometimes perceived as a natural
upgrade from Debian, which unlike Linspire, for example, is very Linux-y and
very Free. Ubuntu blew in on secuity when a local user could see root
password in Ubuntu 5.x.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"