Re: [News] Why Open Source (Linux) is Better Than Windows

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 11 September 2006 15:32 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why Open Source is Better.. Part One
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | E.g. - The computer my mum and sister use was running Windows XP, and
>> | plagued by spyware, unfixed exploits ... and my phone was ringing all
>> | the time! "Help..."
>> |
>> | One day i got fed up, and decided to pop Ubuntu Linux on the machine.
>> | I've had two phone calls in the last three months! Quote from my
>> | technophobe mum: "I like this, it's much easier to use and I don't any
>> | popups any more."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/
>>
>> (The style of this writeup is juvenile)
>
> I can't help wondering what Ubuntu's attraction is, I know it's popular so
> must have something going for it, but when I had a look at one that came
> with my linux mag I couldn't really  see that it had anything that Suse or
> Mandriva haven't done at least as well if not better, handy helpers for
> desktop clients, but nothing that particularly stood out for me.
>
> In fact I thought the menus from a typical Debian based system had been cut
> down too much, such that some items that tend to be used after the initial
> introduction period, would now be harder to find.

I don't consider myself a victim of the Ubuntu hype^tm. I only installed
Ubuntu on a couple of boxes because the CD's were there. I think that the
CD's are the biggest thing that's going for it. In fact, just a couple of
days ago I had a discussion with a Debian user who installed Ubuntu on her
mom's computer "because it was there".

There is one merit that is going for Ubuntu, I think. Installation of
software is quite a breeze, but frankly, I don't find YaST all that bad.
Even on an old machine with a 2.4 kernel...

Ubuntu also has a good mentra. And while it's largely inherited from Debian,
the Debian project is facing some problems.

Debian Etch is not ready for release

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm scared by Debian etch. It'll probably become the worst Debian
| release ever. It's going to hurt our reputation.
`----

http://www.infodrom.org/~joey/log/?200609102259

Op/Ed or blog, so take with a grain of salt. Here are some new screenshots.
They are showing the graphical installer that everyone has been humming and
talking about.

http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-etch-beta3-graphical-mode-installation-with-screenshots.html

        Debian Etch Beta3 Graphical-mode installation With screenshots

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
roy      pts/1                         Mon Sep 11 08:50 - 08:51  (00:00)