Re: COLA Stats 10 Sep 2006

  • Subject: Re: COLA Stats 10 Sep 2006
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:34:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on  Sun, 10 Sep 2006
> 13:44:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 13:28 \__
>>
>>> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on  Sun, 10 Sep 2006
>>> 02:58:20 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> I wonder, if this "...driving informative messages right off the news
>>> servers." is referring to the tolls crap (maybe "informative" to them,
>>> but crap to us) being drowned by Roy S's newsposts. And is this another
>>> way of flatfarce saying that the trolls posts are being shunted off the
>>> newsservers..  GREAT! Keep it going Roy! :-)
>>
>> They lie, yet again.
>
> There's a surprise. ;-)
>
>> Gary does not killfile news items and neither does Erik.
>
> Because they'd sooner whine.

They're becoming more of the landscape here, now.  Several [News]
threads have made it into Roy C's top threads list - how things change.

>> They have proven it before. And yet, if I dare to have a typo in the
>> tag, they loudly nag. When that line of attack fails, they mention
>> server retention. But newsgroups servers retain by the post, not by the
>> thread. So the effect of my news posting is minute. But that's not what
>> they would have you believe. Other lies, off the top of my head: no
>> followups as an implication of no interest, Windows/MS-related being
>> utterly irrelevant, etc.

Server retention is one of the daftest arguments I've heard;  we get
those guys posting several hundred messages each a month, but they
complain about server retention... if they were really worried about
that, they could stop posting :-)

The storage  required for text-only groups is miniscule compared with
the binaries groups, too.

>> Seems as though I'll be getting in contact with some viruses (Windows)
>> next week. My activity in this newsgroup will be affected. Inevitably,
>> not all problems can be resolved remotely. No worries. I'll loosen that
>> Windows chastity belt. it's been accumulating dust for many months.
>
> Good luck with the "Freshers", Roy. :-)

Ah, yes, it's that time of the year, isn't it?

Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants,
today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
		-- Dave Barry