Re: [News] Will Windows Vista be a Pig on Our Networks?

[H]omer came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in
comp.os.linux.advocacy:

http://news.com.com/Cisco+exec+Windows+Vista+is+scary/2100-7355_3-6116823.html?tag=nefd.top

> And this one seems to be about fears that additional complexities in
> Vista will cause further insecurities and other problems.
>
> Actually the topic reminded me more of this:
>
> .----
> | Will Vista jam the Net?
> | Joris Evers
> | CNET News.com
> |
> | Thanks to new directory software, Windows Vista could put a greater
> | load on Internet servers. But experts disagree over whether we're
> | heading for a prime-time traffic jam or insignificant slowdown.
> |
> | Microsoft's launch of Windows Vista could slow down or stall traffic
> | on the Net, said Paul Mockapetris, who is widely credited with
> | inventing the Internet's Domain Name System (DNS). Mockapetris
> | believes Vista's introduction will cause a surge in DNS traffic
> | because the operating system supports two versions of the Internet
> | Protocol, a technology standard used to send information over
> | computer networks.
> |
> | "If you adopt Vista, your DNS traffic is going to double,"
> | Mockapetris said in an interview. With many DNS servers already
> | running close to capacity, this can have serious consequences, he
> | said. "You're going to see brownouts. All of a sudden, it is going to
> | be mud season on the Internet, where things will just be kind of slow
> | and gooey."
> `----
>
>  - http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029694,49283335,00.htm

Even just pulling filenames introduces a /noticeable/ effect on overall
network traffic, particularly to latency. I've noticed this when pulling
trees over my Samba networks (clusters as well as workstation LAN). Pulling
meta as well will increase the overall network load to the point of
saturation very rapidly; I was doing it on clusters of up to 28 nodes over
100baseTx2 and /saturating/. I'd hate to think what that would do to the
Internet, where that kind of bandwidth just isn't generally available to
individuals.
--
-*- Linux: Because restarts are for upgrades.
-*- Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,