Re: SuSE 9.2

Hadron Quark came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment
ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ Jim ] on Friday 29 September 2006 01:53 \__
>>
>>> Quickie:
>>> Is it just me, or is 9.2 the best of the SuSE bunch so far? I've tried
>>> OpenSuSE 10.1, it trashed itself for some as yet unknown reason on a
>>> testbed a couple weeks ago - I'm still autopsying that one to see if I
can
>>> figure out what went wrong. I've got 9.2 on this laptop, and it hasn't
>>> given me a lick of trouble apart from stupid things that I did myself
(like
>>> plugging in a bus-powered external hard drive - silly thing to do on a
>>> notebook, even if it does have a nine amp powerpack) causing the system
>>> go into a hard lock which only a battery yanking would cure. Last time
it
>>> did that I was testing a Canon bus-powered scanner. Nearly fried the USB
>>> bus with that one.
>>
>> ...Been doing fine with SUSE 8.1 since 2003. I have recooted the machine
>> few hours ago, after 70+ days of uptime (since that July outage). SUSE
has
>> been mature for a long, long time. Wait until 10.2 is finally shipped.
It's
>> like free SLED 10.2, minus the stuff that needs 'hacking' (the equivalent
of
>> Automatix or EasyUbuntu).
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> Wowa there cowboy.
>
> What happened to all the "OSS programmers react quickly" tripe you were
> spouting?
>
> You have stayed with  8.1 for 3 years?
>
> Surely you should be at the bleeding edge and helping the never ending
> beta test?
>
> Look up hypocrite in your search engine prototype.
>
> Another thing you guys need to learn is to turn off your machines when
> you put your pyjamas on - otherwise its a waste of power.
>
> Windows has an automatic power management facility ..... :-;

It's not a waste of power - I have this little thing called cluster
management suite, which allows me to drop /any/ box onto my processing
stack and have it slaved to the system in like, what? Twenty seconds from
power-on? Then it just sits there helping the effort to encode video from
the nightly workload.
--
-*- Linux: Because restarts are for upgrades.
-*- Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,