Re: [News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

Oliver Wong wrote:

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 27 September 2006 08:37 \__
>>
>>> I think that Vista was slated to be NT6, /but/ as pretty much everything
>>> new has been removed, and all you're really getting is a new GUI look &
>>> feel, then it's most likely better seen as NT5.2
>>>
>>> I expect that MS will name it something like NT7 or NT7000 or something,
>>> in order to hide the lack of progress they've made in the last 6 years.
>>
>> They play those cards with the XBox 360 and the renaming of Longhorn. It
>> had
>> accumulated bad reputation that got indexed, so articles and negative
>> publicity could be evaded through identity change. This are just two
>> examples among several more.
>
>     What was the XBox 360 renamed from?

Uhh... XBOX? Hmmm.... how about "dog shit"? Yup, that's it.

>     For Longhorn, if you're referring to Longhorn -> Vista, it's pretty
> standard practice to give a computer product an internal codename which
> differs from it's release name. Intel, AMD and Sun all do it. I do it for
> my personal projects too. If you're referring to something else, what name
> change are you referring to?
>
>     - Oliver

The difference is, Intel, AMD and Sun all have real projects of measurable
worth. "Longhorn to Vista" is nothing more than smoke and mirrors to
deceive the gullable.

--

Jerry McBride