[News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| But XP has also become an apt demonstration of the difference
| between "popular" and "widely used." People use XP but don't love it.
| Why should they?
|
| This operating system has needed a steady diet of patches to stay close
| to healthy. On a machine with a September 2001-vintage copy of Windows
| XP Home Edition, installing every bug-fix released as of August ballooned
| its Windows directory from 987 megabytes to 2.43 gigabytes.
|
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
|
| And even with all those updates, the operating system has met only a few
| of its goals while falling short of others in a catastrophic manner. And
| it's done so for reasons that can't all be blamed on XP's design or
| Microsoft's own actions. That, in turn, means that its long-delayed
| replacement, Windows Vista -- now due to ship in January -- may run into
| the same problems.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology
http://tinyurl.com/r474d

XP was unsuccessful in terms of sales. It was a forced upgrade to anyone
buying a computer to escape problems (e.g. Registry bloat).