Re: Recipe for disaster

  • Subject: Re: Recipe for disaster
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:15:11 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:qoSXmwKEi2h+lZY4p7017sAFThU=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 28 September 2006 19:33 \__
>
>> All I wanted to do was access the NFS share on the server, from
>> Windows. Honest. OMG! *What* a disaster. Why did I even bother trying?
>>
>> Here's my recipe for disaster:
>>
>>  . Take 1 fully loaded, fully updated, well maintained Windows XP Pro
>>    installation.
>>
>>  . Add Microsoft Services For UNIX v3.5
>>
>>  . Add seasoning to taste, and stir.
>>
>> Result:
>>
>> Bang! BSOD: irq_not_less_or_equal, with something about tcpip.sys
>>
>> Reboot ... darkness ... silence.
>>
>> Reboot to Linux, delete C:\SFU\
>>
>> Reboot to Windows ... I'm in!!!
>>
>> Uninstall MS SFU. Must reboot.
>>
>> Spend the next hour or so going through the event viewer, regedit and
>> various repair tools (CCleaner, chkdsk, etc).
>>
>> Reboot to do a chkdsk /F
>>
>> OK, that didn't go to well, how about something simple like ripping a
>> couple of DVDs with DVDDecryptor.
>>
>> Insert DVD ... autorun DVDDecryptor ... 30% in ...
>>
>> Bang! BSOD: kernel_stack_inpage_error
>>
>> Reboot ... darkness ... silence.
>>
>> Reboot to safe mode. Run CCleaner again. Run various tools from
>> SysInternals (Autoruns), and try again.
>>
>> Reboot ... I'm in ... again!!!
>>
>> Spend the rest of the day running Norton Disk Doctor, Norton
>> WinDoctor, CCleaner, defrag, regedt32 and half of SysInternals
>> software portfolio trying to stabilise this system.
>>
>> Sigh! Why do I even bother?
>>
>> If it wasn't for Napster and iTunes, that damn Windows partition
>> wouldn't even be there.
>>
>> Maybe it's time I just started buying CDs.
>
> [H]omer, mate, you have got to get out of this relationship. Is it
> truly

I didn't know you were an item?

> impossible to live without any Windows boxes (or remote Windows
> connectivity, e.g. for a daytime job)?
>
> My motivation for eliminating my last Windows machine (a laptop) was the
> recurrence of problems and -- above all -- the reluctance of those machines
> to communicate and exchange data with anything non-Windows. I am
> honest. Get

Rubbish. Windows has connectivity apps all over the shop.

> rid of Windows and you will save yourself a lot of time. I saved about 2
> hours a week in this way. This translates to happiness and savings,
> which

How? Try not posting so much SPAM here and youd save about 20 hours.

> proves that mixed environments are not the key to optimality (some TCO

It doesnt "prove anything.

> studies seem to suggest otherwise because businesses connect with other
> businsses... the macro level).

Nothing you said there makes any sense whatsoever.

--
68:
	Do me now and I'll owe you one.