Re: Roy breaks the law again... (was: Microsoft is Recruiting!)

On 2006-09-27, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Edwards belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> There you go breaking copyright laws again.
>>>
>>> I especially like the part at the bottom where you fraudulently claim
>>> Microsoft has copyrighted your work.
>>
>> If Roy really wrote the content of that page, parody or otherwise,
>> then he's free to cede copyright to whomever he wants.
>
> I would have tweaked the logo and the bottom matter a little, so it
> could be determined (for those lead-heads like Erik that don't know what
> a URL is) that the page wasn't really an MS page.
>
>>> Parody protection does not extend to fraud, nor does it allow you to copy
>>> images (such as logo's) that are copyrighted works without permission.
>>
>> Surely the logo is a _trademark_ issue, not copyright?  (Even there,
>> I've seen far more blatant "violations" in, say, The Onion.)
>
> I think Roy's page
>
>    http://www.schestowitz.com/Amusement/usenet-shill/
>
> is funny as hell.

Meh, no offense to anybody concerned, but IMHO the whole
"MS-is-paying-FUDsters" idea is a bit too tired for me to consider
decent joke fodder.  Four or five years ago, maybe... But _given_ that
you're going to try to make a joke out of it, the _only_ way I see it
being at all funny is if you faithfully copy the look-n-feel as Roy
did.  So no, I don't think I'd have "tweaked" the logo or anything.

(Not to mention the old "damned if you do damned if you don't" bit; if
Roy _had_ tweaked the logo to M$ or some such, how long do you think
it would have taken Erik or someone else to launch a tirade about the
"immaturity of all linux users"?)

> I'd have changed that fellow's name to "Erik", though, and given him an
> even more doofussy look.

Oh HECK no, you have GOT to be kidding, how many crazy laws would it
be claimed Roy was violating in _that_ case?

(Hmm, grammar trouble, that should probably read "how many laws would
it be crazily claimed Roy was violating...". YMMV.)

--
Darrin