Re: An easy-to-use / install distro?

mwatters_newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
begin  In <1159219091.938216.167290@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on
09/25/2006
   at 02:18 PM, mwatters_newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

So is Linux as a desktop supporting everything these days?
Nothing is supporting everything, including m$ malware.

Ok, I'll rephrase for you:

Is linux supporting most hardware you throw at it these days?

Throwing hardware around is not recommended, no matter which operating system you use.

Try treating your hardware with more care and it'll last longer.

As for linux handling most hardware, that depends. If you limit it to x86 hardware, then I don't think it's as good as windows yet, but yes, I'd say that over 70% of hardware counts as most.

before you go and install linux, find out what hardware you have and check that it is compatible with linux, that way you won't have an excuse to come bac here and whine like so many others do.

Will it run as fast as windows on my 1.5Ghz hardware?
Run what? You'll probably see some things slower and some faster.

Anything, everything, file managers, OS specific programs, dialogs, browsers, etc, etc, etc...

Anything may indeed be as fast as in windows. Equally, everything may not be as fast as in windows.

Different things will run at different speeds than they do on windows,

Do you see what I mean now? Get it??

Do you see what we mean now? Get it??

Generally speaking.

Generally speaking yes, some things will run as fast as on windows, some will run faster and some will run slower.

Will my Logitech webcam and Kodak digital be supported right out
of the box?
Try it and see.

Try it and see? I came here seeking advice from suposedly knowlagable Linux professionals and I get "try it and see". That's a technical breakdown if I ever heard one...

Well then, there's the problem right there. you came to an advocacy group for advice.

We tend not to do advice, we do advocacy. "try it and see" is advocacy, not advice.

Several distributions come with a liveCD, and it's
easy enough to install a distribution that doesn't. Assuming that
you've got the disk space you could even install multiple
distributions and play around with each in turn.

What about applications, is there more of a variety now?
There are a lot of Linux applications, but it's up to you to see what
suits your needs. I'd certainly look at OpenOffice for starters.

I was hoping for more of an enthusiastic plug here describing how linux has everything I need. Not just "search freshmeat, dude, you'll find lots of shit".

Tell us what you want to do and we'll tell you what's available to do it. Tell us you want to do stuff and we'll tell you that there's lot's of stuff on freshmeat.

This is an advocacy group, right?

Yes, it's not a "come here and ask unanswerable questions" group.

Basically, what's the best distro nowdays for a person who doesn't
want to spend a whole lot of time configuring, just install and go?
That depends. I prefer SuSE, because it comes with a lot of software
in the box and I don't have broadband. Dead rat was bog easy the last
time I installed it. Others have said good things about other
distributions. Try anything but Caldera/SCO.

Ok, some advice. Thanks.

BTW, what's with all the news articles flooding this group?
I assume that you mean the articles with [news] in the subject.

Hence, the word "news" in the question. And the obvious reference to the exact phrase you quoted below. IOW: uhDoi!

there are lots of news articles here that are _not_ tagged with [news] in the subject. This habit you have of not being specific enough in your questions has made answering them nearly impossible.

Those
are what their subjects suggest: pointers to news involving Linux.

It seems like spam plain and simple.

Uh huh.

What's flooding the group is articles by wintrolls, and those are by
no means limited to the [news] posts.

Unfortunately, the [news] articles are posted one after another in huge blocks of spam. Kinda puts a damper on the group.

Strange how the majority of people who complain are our resident wintrolls and people who turn up out of the blue, complain and then disappear.

Not that I'm suggesting that you're anything like that second group, even though you're in the wrong group for the questions you want to ask.

Shouldn't there be a seperate newsgroup for news articles?
No.

Why not?

Because they are Linux advocacy, you may recall that advocacy is what we're here for.

It gets hard to read the other stuff with all the [news].
Doesn't your news reader let you sort by subject? Oh, you're using
google. You'll Usenet it a lot easier if you get an account with a
news server and use a real news client.

So I have to adjust my personal preference in order to aviod spam?

You don't have to do anything. You may choose to do so, or not. Whatever you decide to do, this newsgroup will continue as it always has.