Re: [News] Open Source Mail/Calendar/Collaboration Servers A Key to Bringing Linux to the Enterprise

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:12:20 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Scalix is sneaking Linux in through the corporate mailbox
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The lock-in maneuver
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| "I buy Exchange, I have to go Active Directory on the server side. I have
>>| no more choice in directories. Then the next thing is, I buy Exchange,
>>| I actually have to continue to use Outlook as my client. Exchange and
>>| Outlook are so tightly integrated that you can't really use another
>>| client.... You basically need to keep your desktops running Windows
>>| and Outlook into eternity.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/20/151253
>
> That's how lock-in works...

It's also not true.  There are lots of email clients that offer Exchange
connectivity, including Evolution on Linux (though the connector isn't
free).

Also, any pop3 or imap client can connect as well.

Further, you're not stuck with ActiveDirectory.  Novell, for example,
offers a program called DirXML that offers syncronizatiion between Exchange
and eDirectory.