Re: [News] Torvals Delivers His Stance on GPLv2 and GPLv3

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Torvalds' Ode to GPLv2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When many of the top Linux developers announced their disapproval of the
>| GPLv3 draft, there was one major name conspicuously missing: Linus
>| Torvalds.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| So, it seems that as long as Stallman and the other authors of the
>| GPLv3 stick to their guns that the new license must include its current
>| patent language, its objections to DRM, and its additional restrictions
>| section, it will not be used in Linux. For Linus, and the majority of
>| senior Linux kernel developers, the best open-source license is already
>| here -- and it's the GPLv2.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS5627827397.html

<snip>

I actually agree with the general sentiment expressed, in particular,
that the strength of the GPL is its simplicity.  You can do what you
like with the source, but if you issue anything based on it outside of
your own domain, then you must also make the source available.

However, there are certainly issues around patent and DRM which are very
important, although I'm also of the view that DRM will likely resolve
itself, as it's all about maintaining a lock-in model for a few very big
companies, so will probably collapse as they do, and the patent issue
merely needs some clear-headed political leadership.  Sadly, to get
that, we'd need some clear headed politicians - we don't seem to have
any of those.

To be considered successful, a woman must be much better at her job
than a man would have to be.  Fortunately, this isn't difficult.