Re: Red Hat's Linux Sales in China Expected 100% Percent Elevation

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
> | sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
> | 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
> | have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
> | Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
> | interview.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
> http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

>From the article:

"Red Hat posted total sales of $278.3 million for the last business
year through February. The firm's greater China region, which includes
Hong Kong, mainland China and Taiwan, made up 2 percent of that figure,
he added."

Let me see here now.  RHAT sold 278M of which 2% was in Hong Kong,
China, and Taiwan.  That's every bit of $5M to $6M bucks!  Wow!  And
they think they'll do $10M or so next year, too.

Well, $5M is a lot of money for linux, but some other news seems to
overpower it:

"That move prompted Chinese PC manufacturer Lenovo, which acquired
IBM's PC unit in May 2005, to announce it would purchase $1.2 billion
worth of Windows operating systems, to be pre-loaded into Lenovo PCs
made in China.

China's other top PC makers, including Founder, Tsinghua Tongfang,
and TCL, have placed software orders with Microsoft totaling $430
million."

Sort of makes RHAT out to be a witless chump by comparison, eh, royboy?

Not to mention:

"Microsoft plans to spend in excess of $3.7 billion in China over the
next five years, company officials said Wednesday in Beijing.

The announcement came on the heels of Chinese President Hu Jintao's
visit to Microsoft's Redmond headquarters and the home of Microsoft
Chairman Bill Gates. "

So Bill has the big fella out to the house for a little dim sum and
voila!  LOL!!!  Who loves ya, baby?