Re: An easy-to-use / install distro?

  • Subject: Re: An easy-to-use / install distro?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:40:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 486box ] on Monday 25 September 2006 23:32 \__

> mwatters_newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I'm looking to install Linux on a 1Ghz machine that's currently running
>> XP.  I have experience with Linux and have installed distros as old as
>> Redhat 7.  But I've put it down for a while because I felt it wasn't
>> ready, or I wasn't ready, to run it as a full time desktop.  But I want
>> to take the plunge and rid myself of MS entirely.
>>
>> So is Linux as a desktop supporting everything these days?  Will it run
>> as fast as windows on my 1.5Ghz hardware?  Will my Logitech webcam and
>> Kodak digital be supported right out of the box?  What about
>> applications, is there more of a variety now?
>>
>> Basically, what's the best distro nowdays for a person who doesn't want
>> to spend a whole lot of time configuring, just install and go?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> BTW, what's with all the news articles flooding this group?  Shouldn't
>> there be a seperate newsgroup for news articles?  It gets hard to read
>> the other stuff with all the [news].  Just an observation.
>
> I would definitely suggest Ubuntu Linux. It's very easy to use and set
> up(the partitioner sucks, just warning you), and comes with a sparse
> population of apps, the most useful being Synaptic, its package manager.

My suggestions: Opensuse, the Ubuntu 'family', Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Linspire,
Xandros.

About the articles: the news used to be a troll magnet that encourages
anti-Linux prapaganda shills to spoil the conversation. If you doubt it,
plunge into the archives. The news posts demoralise them and drive them
away.

I respect your opinion on this and humbly apologise. I mean, there is indeed
a side-effect that is not desirable to all, which is why the posts are
tagged (for filtering).