Re: Reply inline in kmail?

  • Subject: Re: Reply inline in kmail?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:23:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Mark ] on Friday 22 September 2006 06:23 \__

> I've searched all over google and groups for this but found surprisingly
> little. I a single kmail user amongst a sea of business colleagues who
> use Outlook and Lotus Notes. Whenever a group email discussion occurs,
> the protocol is to include the original emails, in reverse order, in the
> new message, each with the original header summaries (date, from, to,
> cc, subject, etc). Your new email message must be written at the top.
> How can I get kmail to allow my to post a group email (reply to all)
> like this?

Back when I was using KMail, I suspect there was no option. I don't want to
suggest other applications as an alternative, but instead I suggest that you
persuade your colleagues to post in a way that is rational.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post

Every decent (and technical) mailing list I participate in (over dozen)
sticks to bottom posting with some trimming. There is only one mailing list
where I get messages, each of which has a ~50KB trail and context is
'jeopardy style'. Those morons (excuse my anger) will never learn.
Meanwhile, I post the /right/ way, not the Microsoft way (putting aside
Notes).

> Now I am certainly aware of the flaming discussions about the merits of
> top and bottom posting etc and I don't want to start another flame-fest.
> When I reply to one of these emails I have no choice but to maintain the
> posting convention. At the moment I do it by doing a "reply to all",
> then in a separate window I do a "forward" on the same email, then I cut
> the forward content into the reply window. I'm tired of doing this dance
> many many times each day. Since I use an external editor in kmail (gvim)
> then this process is even more painful (and I'd actually like a choice
> in kmail to have a separate button for "external editor" like my pan
> does for newsgroups, but that's a another problem ..).
>
> Is kmail just not suitable for conversing in a business environment?

I don't want to get political, but the 'business environment' is mistaken
(unless English is read from the bottom to the top) and I think you should
post the Wikipedia link along with your message. This will at least defend
you.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - honestly, I don't think KMail has this capability, but do have a look at
kde-file.org and see if there's a relevant extension for KMail.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Cpu(s):  19.4% user,   2.7% system,   0.9% nice,  76.9% idle