Re: link building??

__/ [ Chris Gunn ] on Monday 25 September 2006 03:00 \__

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:38:06 -0600, "Geekware Digital" <bsydow@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>link bulding increases your ranking in google and to build good links
>>you have to get links to your site from sites with a similar topic.does
>>this mean basically your competition?
>
> Howdy,
>
> This is a major misunderstanding including the search engines.  I also have
> to laugh at sites using Google AdSense to make a few pennies since many of
> the links will be their competition.  They make pennies and send their cash
> flow business elsewhere.

Business sites rarely have AdSense. If they do, the situation you described
can be avoided and the ads be block through domain-based exclusion rules in
AdSense. There are a few exception, however, where the competition is
permitted to actually buy AdWords of the competition's brand name.
Microsoft, for instance, buys a lot of "Linux", as means of embedded FUD in
sites that discuss nothing but GNU/Linux. I was among the victims and it's a
widely-known fact. Even SERP's are misused in the same way, which led to
some lawsuits earlier this year.

> If you sell belt buckles, you want links with sites that sell belts and
> pants.  If you do web design, you want links with hosting sites and a big
> portfolio of sites you've done that link back to you.

It would be silly to make a few pennies when the prospective buys can spend
big bucks. AdSense remain a valid tool for collecting pennies in Web sites
such as forums that are content-rich.

>>my domain is www.geekwaredigital.com what type of sites should i get to
>>link to me?  how do i go about doing this?
>
> You've commited two major design errors.  Your banner top uses over half of
> the web page with decorations that don't sell your services.  It's also
> fixed width (800 wide) and left justified.  Do some shrinking and build the
> star banner so it works as a background image and can extend out to 1400
> wide.
>
> Hit http://usavotingpolls.org and check it at various screen widths to see
> how rubber band graphics can work.
>
> While you are at it, get some margins on your text so it does not bang up
> against the colored borders.  When you've got a professional appearance,
> send personal messages to sites that would be an asset as links on your
> site.  DO NOT add links until you have their permission.

Tools that adhere to the WYSIWYG paradigm are bound to produce bad Web sites.
Description generates layout; not the other way around. There are method for
bridging the two ends, so raw markup is not the only answer.

On the issue of links, it's a chicken-and-egg scenario, unless it's all done
artificially (often by expending large sums of money). Rather than "link
building", one should refer to this as "link scamming" or "link acquition".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Swap:  1036184k total,   481184k used,   555000k free,    74484k cached